Pages

9.24.2007

I had an event support assignment at Stanford University two weeks ago. I flew into San Francisco and decided to do the touristy thing a little bit. I mapped it all out in advance, where I would go and how I would get there, what I would see, etc. The first thing I did was accidentally take the Bay Bridge over to Oakland. Woops! Turned around, tried again and made it to Embarcadero Drive. There are tons of Piers along this road. I was headed to Pier 39. I parked there and hoofed it everywhere else. I walked around Pier 39, then up the road to Lombard Street, then back down to Ghirardelli Square and then on to Fisherman's Wharf. I saw the Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz and the Pier 39 sea lions.

The hills are ridiculously steep and the views (as well as the hills) left me breathless. Lombard Street was super cool, except for the jackass who made it a point to squeal his tires around every bend. One of the most notable things about San Francisco is that all around you conversations are happening in different languages. I heard English maybe a quarter of the time. Granted I was in touristy areas but I loved the idea of being surrounded by the world.

I really want to take a holiday with Karl and start in Northern California and make our way down the coast. It would be amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing adventure you are having traveling all across the country! I love reading about your days and seeing the pics. I hope you and Karl get the chance to venture out together... I see some of BARB in you, who knows, maybe you'll sail around the country some day too.
Love ya, Steph