I'm stranded in Birmingham.
If you said to me, "Crystal, do you like your job?"
I would reply, "Yes." Succinctly.
And then I might get a faraway look in my eyes prompting you to hesitate and then say, "But..." with a questioning upward lilt at the end, like a yo-yo hitting that sweet spot at the top of its arc before zipping back into the palm of your hand.
"But..." you might repeat.
And I would begin like this, "I like knowing things that help people do something better. I like the challenge of learning things well enough to teach them to someone else and then watching their faces change when they get it. And truly I enjoy traveling to new places."
Deep breath, "But there is a side effect to all that travel which is beyond anyone's control. That side effect is this: I can't say with much certainty where I'll be and when, or when I'll be back. Even when I think I know, I don't. There are too many factors at play and not one of them can be held accountable for the disruption of my plans.
This frustrates me to no end. The inability to regulate my life goes against my nature. Plans with friends are cancelled. Family dinners are missed. Quality time with my spouse is lost. You should see my dog's face every time I take out the suitcase, which as you can imagine is quite often. This side effect I loathe. "
And then you'd say, "Ah. That is a bummer."
I would agree. I'd probably nod my head affirming your simple, but wise observation.
Then I'm sure I would toss in a profound but also charming line like, "It is what it is. What do you do?"
And this time it would be your turn to nod, perhaps even offer a small shoulder shrug as if to say, "Indeed. What do you do?"
Much mutual nodding would then continue. Nothing would have changed, but I can still say, with certainty this time, that I would feel better. And I do.
This little back-and-forth was exactly what I needed. Thank you, and Goodnight.
2 comments:
Reading that just made MY day a little better. Thanks.
My goodness, are still stuck out there in this Flight Cancellation Nightmare? Hope you can stay plugged in at least. Isn't technology great? Got an Iphone yet?
Post a Comment