Pages

12.13.2009

Paris Day 5, Part 1

Wednesday morning we took the Metro to Musee d'Orsay. I was excited, as Impressionism is more my style and the museum is Karl's favorite. As we neared the ticket window we noticed a sign saying the museum was closed due to STRIKE. We were like, is this a joke? A strike? We only hoped it wouldn't mean every museum was closed. So we got back on the Metro and tried the Rodin museum. Closed due to strike. Augh! I was really looking forward to the Rodin sculpture garden. We happened to be right near the Hotel des Invalides, so we thought we'd at least get a look at the outside of it and try to figure out what to do the rest of the day.

Hotel des Invalides. And guess what, OPEN! Yay! The hotel housed veterans of French wars. There is the church, a hospital and places for the veterans to live. Parts of the site were off-limits as it still functions as it did when it was opened.


The dome church of the Hotel des Invalides.

There were little rooms branching out from the center of the dome, some containing tombs. They were either family or fellow Napoleon military men.

Fancy altar.

One of the kings guarding the entrance to Napeoleon's crypt.

Statues surrounding the circle space his tomb rests in.

Statue of Napoleon. After the dome church we visited the war museum. That was three hours I'll never get back. :) Karl LOVED it.


I did manage to find this interesting art.

I snapped a photo of this American soldier pack. I thought it was full of interesting things. For more information about the museum and what it covered, you'd better talk to Karl. To me it was a lot of guns, uniforms, and paintings of guns and uniforms. And sad video footage.

No comments: