Pages

1.16.2011

Baby Food

Karl got me an immersion blender for Christmas this year, because I like to puree soups and sauces. In the past I've transferred the food to the blender, but it isn't very easy to clean and sometimes I have to puree the food in batches, which leads to more dirty pans.

The immersion blender makes it easy, I can put it right into the saucepan and voila. It has multiple speeds and is fairly long, so your fingers stay clean.

It's also great for making baby food! I love making Willa's food. Today I made zucchini. I had 1/2 lb of washed, trimmed zucchini from our garden in the freezer. I cut it into slices, cooked it on the stovetop with a little water, then used the immersion blender to puree it. Here it is, transferred to an ice cube tray. Each cube is a generous tablespoon.


It goes into the freezer, and once it's set I transfer it to a labeled ziploc bag.
You can see I've made applesauce, sweet potatoes and peas this week.

When it's time to eat, I put the cubes into a little cup and thaw them in warm water. We often add rice cereal to thicken it up and sometimes plain yogurt. She's a champ eater, and so far she's liked everything we've offered.

3 comments:

pelicanl said...

I canceled my food mag subscriptions, your illustrations are much easier to follow. I'm just going to hang out here if you don't mind..... nice work.
dad

Steph Zerbe said...

Brilliant! Willa is so lucky!

Steph Zerbe said...

I love this idea so much! I want to do this for Emma. Plus, you can pop the same cubes into your spaghetti sauce and no one will know!!